Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Vintage Thingie Thursday: Vintage Toddler and Tiara Moments

Welcome everyone to Vintage Thingies Thursday. If you have a love for vintage things, well....you have come to the right place. We have a really good time each and every week!!!
If you are new to this party, please take the time to
read and follow the instructions for participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, click HERE. I try and keep things fairly simple, so please make sure you follow the instructions. Please only ONE link per week. Lastly, if you link in, LINK back to my blog, so everyone can see all of the vintage goodies on display that day. If you don't link back here, they won't know who to visit......thanks so much.

With this week being Christmas, and my daughter home for the holidays, we were watching a marathon of Toddlers and Tiaras. We love that show....the momma drama....the beauty queen drama, the whole disgusting drama, we love it!

While we were in the middle of watching a particular episode, where the moms are pushing the kids to practice for the pageant and rather unsuccessfully I might add, I had a memory.

I looked at my daughter and said, " I was in a pageant once."

daughter: as her mouth gaped open...."What?.....When?.......WHAT?????"

me: "Its true.....nanaw put me in a pageant....Little Miss Waco."

daughter: mouth still gaping open...."WHAT???? Did you win?"

me: "No, I am pretty sure I did not win....I hated it."

daughter: "What???"

So of course, I had to prove that this impossible bit of information had a shred of truth to it. I found a couple of pictures that I am assuming the pageant took of the contestants. The back of the photo said, "4 years old, 1966, First Beauty Contest"

My poor mother,  I can only imagine she just knew I was the future Miss America and this was going to be my start to fame. Yes, it was my first beauty contest and  I assure you my last. It was not for me. I was a tomboy and wanted no part of this beauty pageant thing.
 

This is the Beauty photo. And exactly like the television show, my mom made me practice in our living room. She tried and tried to teach  me how to curtsey. Even at four years old and still today, I remember I thought that was the silliest thing ever. I could not figure out how to do it correctly, and finally my mom gave up and told me just to bow at the end of the runway. Like I said, I did not win and was sure it was all my fault because I did not curtsey. I can still remember thinking that was the reason I lost, all because I did not practice that curtsey.


I have no idea what this was...maybe sportswear. Looks like a play romper and a sand pail. I do wish I still had that pail, but I don't think I liked the shoes. This is a far cry from what you see from a kids pageant today. I remember my mom telling me to stay in the middle of the stage and not close to the edge of the runway, as I could fall off......so what do you think I thought about the whole time? I was sure I was going to fall off....and embarrass myself....or worse, my mom.....or worse....hurt myself.

My poor mom was probably disappointed that I was not a pageant queen. Luckily, she did not push the issue and this was the end of my claim to fame. Maybe she figured out I was not good at it, or maybe she just decided to let me choose. Mom's today however, don't give their daughters the same options.....pageants today are so over the top I swear it is the mom's who wish to be on the stage other than the daughters.

When my daughter asked why I never put her in pageants.....I just smiled and told her I did not put her in pageants because she would have cried.....alot!!!

Hope you enjoyed the vintage "Toddler and Tiara" photos of me as a four year old....but no trophies or crowns were won....it ended really before that career ever began!!

Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!!





13 comments:

  1. No matter what, weather you won or not, you sure were a beautiful little girl! I just remembered my mom has some pics of me, even younger in the runaway..I was just taking out coupons for a raffle, until I finally picked the winner, lol.. Thank god I didn't have to compete with anyone else..hahahaha.. Thank you for hosting and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas along with your dear ones.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, thank you as always for hosting such a fun link-up. I am a HUGE fan!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just the sweetest "Vintage Thingie" ever! At that age all little kids clean up into the sweetest princesses and princes. It's not fair to have a winner.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Suzanne, you WERE and ARE a little beauty!!

    I haven't played for a long time, but have been thinking of joining in again to show off some of my new old things that I have relatively recently acquired.

    I have gone to all those linked above me, but if they have word veri, I can't leave a comment. I just wanted you to know that I take the RULES seriously and I do TRY to visit everyone!

    Hope you had a lovely Christmas and that the REST of the holiday season will be Merry and Bright too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to have that memory again. Thanks for hosting, glad I could join in. Happy New Year.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne - Great post. I managed to get a few pageants in here and there when I was older, but learned enough to know that I don't want my daughter to participate. Fortunately, she is way too busy being a cheerleader to think about it too much. ~Kelly

    unDeniably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute you are! Thanks for showing us the pictures. And of course I was wondering if you still had that sand pail!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne what cute photos! Gosh I think you should have won! I was in a beauty pageant in High School but didn't win. I did have a very good time! Fun memories!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Suzanne!

    Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas! I'm a party pooper this week, couldn't think of a single vintage thingie to share. :( I enjoyed your post - I would have hated all that too, the words painfully shy must have been created for me. I'm so glad you have photos from your one time on the stage, you look darling.

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are qualities much greater than beauty. It is only skin deep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason I entered pageants as a pre-teen. My litle cousin had been entering them. Though I admit I liked it and my mom went along with it because I wanted to. I was extremely shy though. It doesn't seem like a person that shy would want to enter them but I did. The thing that helped out a lot is I needed glasses so I didn't see the audiences faces. lol. Me and my cousin never entered our children in pageants though. I think we grew up and came to realize we don't need a panel of judges to tell us our kids are beautiful on the outside and inside. take care, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you shared the photos of you as a beauty pageant participant! I love seeing the 'original' type of beauty pageants - way better than all the folderol of the modern pageants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you shared the photos of you as a beauty pageant participant! I love seeing the 'original' type of beauty pageants - way better than all the folderol of the modern pageants.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...