Friday, September 6, 2013

Summer 2013 ~ Graduation Quilts Part Two

Today, I want to show the other two graduation quilts I made this summer for a couple of special graduates. You may recall the other graduation quilt I post about this week, well, these two recipients graduated from the same town, just from a different high school. In fact, they were a part of the very first graduating class from Centennial High School which is also in Burleson, Texas. Both of these girls are cousins and daughters to my long time best friends in High School.


I chose the chevron pattern for these quilts. The design is trendy, and very popular among many this year as you see in in everything from home decor to clothing. I was in hopes these two young girls would love the pattern and not thing it too old fashion.

The purple and white chevron quilt was made for Victoria. I did not make it in her high school colors but instead made it in her new college colors.


I thought it would be great to take with her to her new dorm. Here is a close up of the quilting.


Here is a snapshot of the backing. I did not piece the backings on these quilts, but found a cute fabric that coordinated with the front.

Since these quilts had a lot of white fabrics up against such dark colors, I prewashed all the fabrics first before cutting and sewing together. I found that worked out better than I thought it would. However, I am still on the fence about doing it all the time.


Here is Victoria with her quilt. She is so cute and such a sweet girl. It was so much fun thinking about the bright future she has coming her way!


Victoria is off to Abilene Christian University this fall and is going to be a nurse. Best wishes to her and all that lies ahead in the coming year!


The second Chevron quilt was done in the Centennial School Colors. This quilt went to Brenna and I love this quilt done in the blues. 


I chose blue fabrics, one of them has a little darker coloring in it. I did not put any black in this quilt, which may be in the original school colors, but used a darker blue in its place. I thought to use black, but it was too harsh with all the white.


Here is the quilting in this quilt, I love how it turned out. If you have made one of these chevron quilts, you know how many half square triangles are in these quilts. Let me say, if you turn one the wrong way when putting the top together, it makes for a lot of resewing! ahem.....


Here is the back of Brenna's quilt. And the fabric with the darker coloring is that stripe on the right. I loved that piece of fabric.


Here is Brenna with her quilt, she was surprised over the weekend with her quilt and look how cute and happy she looks. Brenna is going to Tarrant County College ~ Trinity River  Campus and has a bright future ahead of her as well. Best wishes to Brenna and all that the future holds for her as well.


It was a lot of fun to make these two quilts for two special girls. Both of them are daughters to my long time best friends in High School. I was happy to be able to do that for them as their gift for graduation and give them something that they can keep for years to come. 

 I loved that there was a pattern for the chevron print and a design that was so popular this year.  I think it might always date the quilt back to around this time in the future and the year these two girls graduated from high school. 

4 comments:

  1. The quilts are stunning and the girls are so beautiful. I know they are honored to receive such a treasure. It is nice to know someone appreciates all of your hard work. Sometimes that is not the case. Best of wishes to these girls and their future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne, what a priceless gift you gave them. They are so fortunate! They are just beautiful and I love how you marked them, so they will always remember who made them. So special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely quilt. I love the blue and white. You're right -- the chevron pattern has really had a comeback!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes someone says something really small, and it's like it fits into this empty space in your heart!

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here, they really mean a lot to me!

Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...